Tuesday, May 30, 2017

New Project: Star-Lord!

    It's been aaaages since I posted here, but I'm far from inactive! I've recently re-discovered my absolute love for all things Guardians of the Galaxy. Peter Quill is a costume I've long lusted after and I finally decided to just go for it!

     The process of gathering materials for this costume has been intense. Everything is either custom-made for the film or obsolete/super expensive or both. Also he wears like 10,000 different jackets. Seriously, the man has a closet somewhere of just red leather jackets so he can wear a different one every single day. What the actual, dude.

    Many many hours of scouring eBay later, I came up with a quick solution that could arrive in time to wear to the theater for opening week of GotG vol2. I snagged a red pleather jacket in my size (amazing!), a pair of cheap headphones, a set of orange headphone pads, and a used/nonfunctional Panasonic cassette recorder (stand-in walkman) as well as a pair of shoes that could be easily converted to some crazy space cowboy boots. All for under $90 including shipping! Score! I also chopped my hair, but that was half for cosplay and half because it's heading into summer in the hot and muggy swampland I live in, and my hair is thick like a wool hat.

    When the jacket arrived, to my dismay, it was already disintegrating. Pleather does that (which is why I typically do not buy it). My beautiful jacket was already ruined before I even got to wear it! This is the solution I came up with. It is a temporary solution, but a fun one! I pulled out my leather, my deadly e6000 glue, some rivets, and leather dye, and went to town.
   

     I think it turned out really well.
   
Ravager style!
    The edges are still falling to pieces, but at least it slowed the decay for a while. I'm still considering turning this into a Peter-holding-the-infinity-stone cosplay someday. I only wish I could wear contacts because how cool would it be to go to a con with glowy purple eyes?

    Anyway, here's the result so far.

    I still have a long way to go on my hair, and I need to get some makeup because I'm gonna do the beard. Also I do have the guns, gonna paint them. Need to make the earpiece for the mask (I have the mask but...not gonna wear that to a con). Need to make the spats for the boots, holsters for the guns, and paint the Panasonic to look like a Walkman (and maybe mod it to play music?)

    It's a work in progress, but I already love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment